We are hiring a paid part-time Retail Operations Assistant! Learn more here.
Friends of the VPL is nonprofit that volunteers, advocates, and fundraises for the Vancouver Public Library. Our fundraising activities include the operation of book’mark, The Library Store and annual used books sales. As the organization grows, we are expanding our paid staff into developing those activities better, increasing revenue and, consequently, our donations to the VPL.
The Retail Operations Assistant’s job will be to support the General Manager on retail-related activities promoted by Friends of the VPL, including gift shop sales, used book sale preparation, volunteer management, merchandising, customer service, and external events. It is a part-time position with schedules varying from 20 to 30h/week, Monday to Saturday. In addition, evening and Sunday shifts may be required during special events.
- Open and close store, including register closing procedures and responsibilities
- Customer service
- Volunteer management
- Product display and merchandizing
- Inventory management
- Provide support for book donation processing
- Inform customers/ potential members about Friends of the VPL
- Make the necessary arrangements in preparation for used books sales
- Provide information on products to be used by the communications team
- Set-up and work on the book’mark/ Friends booth at external events, including driving to the event
- Pick up book donations for used books sales
- Must be available to work Mondays, from 9:45 to 5:45 plus scheduled 4-hour shifts Tue-Sat
- Must have a valid BC driver’s license and good driving record
Qualification and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of retail experience, preferably in book stores
- Point of sale/ back office software knowledge
- Experience creating sales and inventory reports
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Volunteer experience is an asset
- Ability to lead diverse groups of volunteers with different skills, schedules, and characteristics
Wage: $18 per hour