Want to help support the Vancouver Public Library? There are several ways you can get involved:
Become a Member
Become a member by visiting book’mark or any VPL branch and buying a Friends membership for $5. Or by clicking here!!
- The satisfaction of supporting the Vancouver Public Library!
- Exclusive member discounts at book’mark, The Library Store
- Access to volunteering opportunities
- Invitations to special members-only programming
- Voting privileges at the annual general meeting
We love volunteers! Our volunteers are a wonderful group of people with diverse backgrounds, ages and interests who all share a common love of libraries and reading. The efforts of our volunteers directly support fundraising for programs, collections, furniture, and activities of the Vancouver Public Library.
If you are a Friend of the Vancouver Public Library already, we invite you e-mail us a resume and a note about your interests. Please note that as we are an entirely volunteer-run organization it may take some time to get back to you. We may also contact you with opportunities based on the volunteer interests that you check off when you become a member.
Remember, you must be a member of Friends to volunteer!
Volunteers must be:
- Members of Friends of the Vancouver Public Library. Click here to join.
- 18 years or older
Please note, Friends of the VPL volunteers do not do the work of Library staff and do not work in the Library directly. Volunteers with Friends help with our many fundraising activities and with the running of the Society. Some examples of the work our volunteers do for Friends of the Vancouver Public Library:
book’mark is a retail business at Central Branch, with profits going to support The Vancouver Public Library.
- Commit to a minimum of six months and at least one 4 hour shift per week.
- Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Previous retail or customer service experience is preferred.
- Primary responsibilities:
- Greet and assist customers
- Knowledgeable about store merchandise
- Complete cash or charge sales transactions
- Assist with pricing and merchandising of new products
If you enjoy the challenges of a retail environment and love people contact please come into our store and fill out our membership and volunteer application form. Please include a current resume. Potential candidates will be interviewed when there are openings. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Friends of the VPL runs three Used Book Sales a year, usually in May, September and December. The sales are three days long, and require approximately 50 volunteers for each sale.
- This is very physical work! Some heavy lifting required
- Help with set up and pack up – unpacking books for sale and repacking unsold books
- Assisting buyers and tidying tables on the sale floor
- Cashiering, cash handling at point of sale
3 hour shifts. This work is a high-energy, great fun way to interact with Friends, patrons and the public! It would suit people interested in occasional volunteer opportunities.
- Sorting books into broad sale/subject categories
- Heavy lifting may be required, and volunteers should be able to stand for most of the time they are in the office or hallway, and not be allergic to dust!
- Special knowledge: some volunteers with understanding of French, European and Asian languages would be appreciated
- Shifts are usually once a week, during the daytime, Monday to Friday
Friends of the VPL has an administrative office located in the central Robson Branch, staffed by volunteer Friends. We are looking for individuals who like to work independently to staff this office and perform the following duties. You should be able to work two or three hour shifts weekly during library open hours.
Organizes and schedules the day to day work of membership data entry. Knowledgeable in all Giftworks processes (Giftworks is the Friends database) including membership, donation and volunteer records. Assists in the training of office volunteers. Maintains computer and office files.
General Office Work:
- Entering new memberships in database
- Entering donations in database
- Answering emails and enquiries from existing and potential Friends members
- Computer skills required
Fundraising and Donor Recognition:
Responsible for creating, planning, resourcing, and staffing fundraising opportunities for Friends, promotes grateful recognition of donors, may also be a Board Member.
- Outreach to members, responding to first contact enquiries about volunteering
- Matching volunteers with existing job opportunities, screening applicants
- Scheduling volunteers for events and ongoing activities
- HR experience is an asset
From time to time we recruit volunteers for specific positions. Current opportunities will be listed here.
Shop at Bookmark
Visit book’mark The Library Store and check out the great selection of greeting cards, stationery, and gifts for all ages of readers and writers. Located on the main level of the Vancouver Public Library, book’mark, The Library Store is a major fundraising project of the Friends of the Vancouver Public Library. The store is staffed by volunteers.
Tell Your Friends!
If you love the Vancouver Public Library, tell your friends about it! Friends of the VPL works to support and promote the library in our community and to raise funds for special projects and library initiatives. So share your experiences of VPL – and encourage others to use and support the library and the work of Friends of the VPL.
Since its founding, Friends of the VPL has donated over $750,000 to the Vancouver Public Library. You can donate one-time or monthly. Please contact us to set up a monthly donation or donate here.
Funds from the Friends of the VPL support programs and initiatives such as:
- Writer in Residence
- Writing and Book Camp
- Furniture, artwork, supplies and games for library branches
For the complete list of Friends funded initiatives check out last year’s report, Donations and Fundraising 2016.